Sunday, February 5, 2012

It's time to get back to tretament

Yesterday morning strike by very severe pain in my right lower chest area, never have this level of pain before , but, lucky that it strike hard on me when I am already in cancer centre. Ask for a bed and two panadol from nurse when waiting for doctor . Thanks God for answering our prayer , pain under control after panadol .
Doctor check on me and can't find anything wrong, as chest airway is clear and no sign of liver problem. Proceed for x ray and blood test.
Blood test show white blood cell higher than normal, could be sign of infection or inflammation . As per doctor advise X ray show not much change from last scan .
Discussed with doctor and decided to restart treatment by next week with Alimta + Carboplatin by next friday. So, start my injection for vitamin B12 and start taking Folic Acid daily
{ B12 was found to significantly reduce many side effects of Alimta (pemetrexed) because they help "rescue" normal non-cancer cells from the toxic effects of this chemotherapy, while cancer cells aren't effectively rescued by lower doses of vitamin B12 and folate.  At higher doses than recommended, cancer cells can also be rescued, making Alimta less effective.}

As for the pain, it's not go away fully . I am taking 2 panadol every 6 to 8 hours to keep it under control. Will see how's it goes for the next two days.

Meantime, just focus on getting body ready for chemo .

2 comments:

  1. Dear

    I Intend to start alimta, next 2 weeks. What do you think of the medicine. It is worth going for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your blog, sorry about the scan result . My opinion is should do something to have situation under control .
    Is doctor suggest to use Alimta as single agent or Alimta to go with cisplation or carboplatin ?
    I did use Alimta + Cisplatin before and cisplatin is quite tough for me . Then, I decided to drop it and use Alimta only .
    This time I am using Alimta+ Carboplatin, since I am okay with carboplatin in one of the previous chemo.
    My opinion is that alternative or chinese medicine may keep our system strong and therefore immune system strong and keep us well .
    But, when it start growing, we shud act fast with traditional therapy to keep things under control. As long as the treatment after few cycles can have situation under control, even if the scan result just show it is stable , I think it is good .
    Anyway, to most patient response, side effect for Alimta is minimum.

    ReplyDelete